10 Questions to Help You Craft a Background Screening Policy for your Rentals
Creating a tenant screening policy for your tenants is an important first step in protecting your you, your property and your other tenants. But where do you begin? Start by answering the following ten questions and you’ll be on your way to safer rental properties!
- How in-depth do the background checks need to be?
- Are there different types of properties where certain tenants would need a more thorough background checks than others?
- Would you consider renting to someone with a criminal record?
- What criminal records would disqualify someone from renting your unit?
- How far back do you want to look for records?
- Do you want to include former landlord references?
- What is your budget for background checks?
- Do I want to drug test potential tenants?
- Do tenants pay for their own background check as part of the application process?
- How often should tenants be screened?
The screening policy could also include sections on terms & definitions, privacy notice, code of conduct, and reporting.
If you’re still confused, you can research the screening policies of other property management companies for inspiration. It may also be beneficial to consult an employment lawyer.
Once you have written your screening policy, you must take steps to enforce it. Read 5 Steps to Carrying Out a Screening Policy.